I Saw "Bright Star" the Musical!!


Hello!

I am so happy right now. I just saw Bright Star: the Musical and it was amazing! No spoilers without warnings! I would hate to ruin an amazing musical for you! Here is a link to the official website of the musical. Continue for my thoughts on the show!

I had the opportunity to see it at Pioneer Memorial Theatre is Salt Lake City, UT on Tuesday, January 23rd, 2018 at 7pm. Since I am a student, I was able to rush the ticket an hour before the show. So, I only paid $5. I am honestly considering going back and paying full price to see it again though! Bright Star was written by Steven Martin (yes, the actor you are thinking of!) and Edie Brickell.

I will admit, I did not know much about the musical before I saw it. I go to pretty every show Pioneer Memorial Theatre does and so I went to Bright Star. Right when it started with "If You Knew My Story", I knew I was going to fall in love with the musical and I did not want it to end. It was also a wonderful surprise and blessing to see it with most, if not all, of the Broadway Cast. I looked up videos and pictures after and realized I saw it with the costumes and set that was used on Broadway also (if not the exact, VERY similar).

I laughed and I cried. For the most part, I had a smile on my face majority of the time. Me being me, I kind of had an inkling of what ended up happening at the end of Act II by the end of Act 1. I just was not sure how it would come about. I love the soundtrack and I started listening to it as soon as I left the theatre. The best part is... it was the Broadway Cast that performed. I love that I can listen to the official soundtrack and it was the same people I saw perform. If you ever have the chance to see it, I STRONGLY recommend it.

I love how the actors and actresses really embodied their roles and they did a phenomenal job, especially Carmen Cusack. The orchestra was a delight. I loved the violinist, Martha McDonnell and of course hearing the banjo was also great. I adored the set. One the things I love the most about shows is the set. And I love when it really gets incorporated into the show and the directing did an astounding job. The way Carmen sung, in general, but especially "At Long Last", it really reminded me of Ellen Greene's voice in "Suddenly Seymour". I hate making comparisons of performers but although different circumstances, they both found their peace and I think that is why it popped into my head that way. She made everything believable and, in a way, made you feel what she felt. I love and admire the fullness of her voice and the southern accent make it all the special. She is also so humble. The entire cast got a standing ovation but when she came out last and everyone cheered, she just came across as so humble and I love that.

Possible Spoiler: not sure, but just in case!
If you know the musical, you probably know which parts I was not smiling during. I cried happy tears and sad tears. In the background of the picture, (sorry it's a little blurry) there is a wooden house and that is where the orchestra played. It was moved throughout the show and I loved how they incorporated it. Also, the wood that goes across the top of the stage frame/arch, there was a train that would go back and forth. I loved that because I love steam engine model trains. It goes with the show though, so it not completely random. The "Please Don't Take Him" scene was very believable. Carmen and everyone involved did an amazing job because I am pretty sure that it not the easiest situation to act out.
Spoiler Over!

I have seen many shows in my lifetime and I would have to say that this is one of the best! I really want to go see again! I have a feeling that this showing of the musical will always have a special place in my heart.

I can discuss other plays and musicals if you would like. I go and see them often.

Thank you for reading and I hope you enjoyed! I just had to share my excitement! I wrote this when I got back and I set it to post Wednesday morning. Every time I would lie down to go to sleep, I would think of something else I had to add.

Have a delightful day!

No comments